Wednesday, July 27, 2022

This Is Beautiful: The Ending of Arcade Spirits: The New Challengers

I'm sure I'm going to write sooooo much more about this game but I need to put this out here right now. The ending of this game is so freaking good. It's incredible. SPOILERS AHEAD!

The ending as you approach it seems to be a showdown between you and the rival team's manager. But everyone keeps pointing out that some facts just aren't adding up. It not-so-subtly hints that something is going to go awry. But then you get to the final fight and you end up sucked into the real big bad of the series, Polybius. A game that sucks you in and makes you confront your worst demons. 

And the cheater is revealed to not be the manager, but your rival! A character that you designed at the very beginning and I figured was a throw away character. I literally spent 0 time talking to my rival this run through because I didn't care haha. His Iris (a sentient phone app AI, basically a character in her own right) has become corrupted and has been cheating on his behalf. It's up to you to show them the error of their ways, and confront your own weaknesses in the process.

There's some changes that are made based on the choices that you make. I didn't romance my rival this round so I wonder if that would change it. And I accidentally encouraged my Iris to break the law and cause chaos a lot so that impacted the ending as well (whoops). But in the end I was so pleased. Between this game and the first one, I don't know how much longer these writers can keep forcing me to rethink the power of a story. But I am very eager to see them continue to try.

I'll certainly write more, probably once I go through all of the different endings, romances, etc. I'm very excited to quarter up and continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment