Monday, August 14, 2023

“Me Talk Pretty One Day” by David Sedaris

My housemate left this behind when they moved out and I’ve never read any Sedaris so I figured I should check it out. It’s a book of essays, of course, and it spans throughout Sedaris’ lifetime but a lot of the later ones talk about him living in France with his boyfriend.

I thought it was entertaining, the essays are humorous enough. After awhile the self-deprecation gets to be a bit much though. Like this is all being written by some white guy, yes I know that you’re a piece of shit.

What I didn’t fully realize is that the book was published in 2000. That’s over 20 years ago now! I only bothered to check because there is an essay complaining about the existence of computers and e-mail while Sedaris wants to take his typewriter with him everywhere. You never see a typewriter anymore!

I doubt that I’ll actively seek out other books by Sedaris, but this was a good enough experience. It is incredible that Sedaris has been writing for so long and I guess in that sense it’s a neat little slice of history.

No comments:

Post a Comment