Sunday, March 10, 2024

The Princess Bride Shadowcast

 This past weekend I was in a shadow cast of "The Princess Bride," and it was so much fun! I decided to turn this into a blog post because there ended up being just a bunch of things I wanted to reflect on from the experience.

So many people mentioned to me that a shadowcast of "The Princess Bride" is so different because it was made to be a movie, and isn't based on a stage show the way something like "Rocky Horror" was. There are a lot of fast cuts and transitions that we just have to like approximate on stage and do our best with. But that does mean that there are some gaps, some transitions aren't the most smooth, and sometimes it looks pretty different from the screen. It might not be the most polished, but I was also told that our enthusiasm made up more than enough for it.

People also mentioned that they noticed things more while watching people act it out. A pretty popular one was the relationship between Rugen and Humperdink and how they seemed so much more gay this time around! I think part of it was the cast leaning into it and just making it more obvious by virtue of being there, but also yeah they definitely had something going on. I know for me, I felt like I was picking up so much more on the physicality of the characters since I was seeing someone else mimic it in front of the screen. Same with line delivery, Humperdink has a bunch of kinda awkward pauses that always catch the cast off guard.

I was continuing my type cast as an old lady with a bit part and playing the Ancient Booer. Just sheer shrieking at the freshman playing Buttercup. I got told that I made a bunch of audience members jump, and others didn't even recognize me at first! Just shows you how important the physicality is.

Anyways so a less polished post this week, but shadowcasts have been increased in my estimation, I didn't think much of them previously but now I think it's a really cool way to watch a movie! Especially one that you've seen before, having the cast there really changes things. I hope I'll be able to participate in others.

No comments:

Post a Comment