Wednesday, October 16, 2019

This Is Beautiful: Sherina Rodriguez Sharpe's Poetry

On a whim, I went to a Feminist Futures art launch party at a local gallery in Ann Arbor. There was some mediocre performance art, but by far my favorite part was a poet named Sherina Rodriguez Sharpe. She read this beautiful bell hooks excerpt, and some of her own poems.

My favorite part of her reading though was that after each part, she would ask "what in that bears repeating?" and people would speak up and suggest what parts were their favorite or what spoke to them. It was great because it forced us to process what we read and discuss it as a group. And I think it's a super important question to ask yourself repeatedly when you consume art.

What in that bears repeating?

Am I wasting my time here? What sections speak to me the most? What should be said over and over until everyone knows it? It's a surprisingly personal question, one that speaks to the audience and also to the artist. And it's definitely one that I want to think about more.

Oh and I'm definitely going to look up all of her poems, they were gorgeous, join me on that adventure if you'd like.

No comments:

Post a Comment