Saturday, February 12, 2022

Aro Week Planning

February 21-26th this year is Aromantic Spectrum Awareness Week! I'm super excited for it, it's always fun to have these advocacy weeks in my schedule. It's more challenging with Aro Week since it's less well known, but that doesn't make it less important. If anything it means that this work is more important than ever.

This year putting together some events were a bit of a struggle. Originally we wanted to do a student panel, similar to what we did for Ace Week in the fall. But no students were interested. So then we tried to do a panel on aromantic research, and no one was free. Well one person was free but she wanted a LOT of money so that wasn't doable. (Seriously everyone I asked said that panels didn't come with monetary compensation most of the time so I don't know what was going on here.) It has ended up being a presentation on aromantic research that I put together myself and I think it'll be a lot of fun anyways!

Which is an important aspect of activism: flexibility!!!

Our other event is a workshop on aromantic identities as well as healthy relationships! We had to work really closely with the organizer here since they aren't aromantic themselves but it's really cool to see this shaping up! I think it'll have a lot of good information in it and it definitely isn't stuff that gets talked about very often. How do you communicate what you want in any kind of relationship? What about having sex when you aren't romantically attracted to your partner? That sort of thing.

I'm really excited! I think this'll be exciting. It definitely is the biggest Aro Week that I've been a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment