Saturday, August 30, 2014

That “Time” Article on Narcissism and Why I Think Humanity Sucks

So Time magazine recently wrote an article on how little kids are narcissistic little brats, and I think it really explains a lot about my feelings towards other people.

To give some background, the article also had a quiz to determine if you were narcissistic or not, higher numbers meaning more self-absorbed. The average is a 4, I got a 2. I’m half as self-concerned as the average person (could be a good or bad thing).

But here’s the thing about me (and most people, I think): I have the hardest time understanding how other people think. If you are really concerned about this one topic that I don’t care about, then I have no idea why you are so fascinated by it. And vice versa, if I really like something then I don’t understand why you don’t like it.

So then if you are a narcissist, then I really really don’t get your fascination with yourself. Because I sure as hell am not that interested in you. Which is probably why I hate small children, because as the article says, they are all self-obsessed. Also, being the opposite of a narcissist isn’t helping me here because I don’t understand why anyone would be thinking about themselves, not just you in particular.
 
And I think I would blame most conflicts on this tendency of people. In order to end fights, you need to be able to see it from the other person’s point of view. And that’s something that not many people are doing, nor have they ever done. And I find that to be a little sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment