Tuesday, August 5, 2014

2006 Robin Hood BBC TV Series

So this is one of my favorite adaptations of Robin Hood. My personal story with how I got into it is a little strange too, but I’ll tell that at the end.

This is a 3 season series, the first two are good and the last sucks. It starts off with Robin, Earl of Huntingdon and Lord of Locksley, returning from the crusade in the Hold Land (where he was in King Richard’s private guard) with his servant Much. Once he has returned to Locksley, he finds out that Guy of Guisbourne has taken over his lands, and a new sheriff is bullying the people. So he becomes an outlaw, and along with his men Much, Allan a Dale, Will Scarlett, John Little, and Djaq he robs the rich and helps the poor. John was actually in the forest already, he ambushed their camp and that’s how they met. Djaq is a Saracen girl who joins them a little later. Marian is the daughter of the old sheriff, and also doubles as the Nightwatchman, who has been helping the poor since Robin left.

Season 2 introduces the Black Knights, a group of nobles who want to kill the king. Of course, Robin and co do everything they can to stop them. Allan also becomes a spy for Guisbourne, which brings dissent into the outlaw’s ranks.

Season 3 is where everything falls to shit, basically. A few characters leave, so Tuck, Kate, and Isabella are introduced. Tuck is a warrior monk who believes in the legend of Robin Hood a little too much, Kate is a whiny little bitch, and Isabella is the vengeful ex. Yeah don’t expect too much.

As far as the legends go, I’m really glad that they kept most of the bare facts like the place names (there’s even a Kirklee’s Abbey, where Robin supposedly died) and Robin’s original title, Earl of Huntingdon. And a few of the old legends are adapted, for example, the archery contest (as usual). And Little John remains a sort of rival to Robin at the beginning. Much is given a very large role, as Robin’s servant he is usually the right-hand man. Allan is usually a minstrel, here he is just a sneaky guy. Will Scarlett doesn’t actually wear scarlet, it’s just his last name. And the addition of Djaq is a great touch. The later appearing Tuck is a historically accurate monk, they didn’t have friars back then. There are a bunch of modernizations, especially in the lingo, but I never go in expecting this to be historically accurate. Because these people are going to screw up.

What I really like about this series is that Robin’s gang is a small, manageable group. You don’t have swarms of men, just around six. This allows you to get to know them all really well, and there aren’t any ridiculous ambushes where the guards are outnumbered 10 to 1. And the characters are all really well done (excluding S3). There is a love triangle between Djaq, Will, and Allan and what’s great about this one is the subtly of it. The way the three of them interact doesn’t make it obvious, but that’s the way that I prefer it. The writing is actually pretty decent, once again, up until S3. Then you want to shoot everyone involved.

The way I got into this series is by stumbling across the third season on TV. (I know, I know, why am I insulting it so much then?) I had no idea what was going on or why, but I knew it was Robin Hood and therefore was hooked. It ended after the third season, and then a few years ago I watched the first two. I have been rewatching the series every summer since then. And I have also realized just how shit the last season is.

So this is a good series, for what it’s worth. I’ve been in love with it for years. It was way too short for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment