Thursday, August 14, 2014

The Problems I Have With the "Divergent" Series

Yeah so I also got really bored on the train home and finished the “Divergent” series. My feelings are pretty mixed, I think that means that I’ve outgrown teen novels.

I really didn’t like the first one, “Divergent,” because 1. No normal person is going to fit neatly into those factions (shush I’m getting there) and 2. No one is going to willingly choose Dauntless because that basically means that you’re going to be a jerk and die. I just don’t get it.

“Insurgent” didn’t get much better, they just run around and fight people. And it can get pretty confusing unless you are actually paying attention to all of the junk that they are doing (which I wasn’t really, but still there shouldn’t be that much repetition between places!). And it seemed like they were going in circles most of the time.

Then there’s “Allegiant” which I liked the best, but it really should have come earlier. This is when you find out that the factions are because they are all genetically programmed for their personality. That really should have showed up earlier, I felt like the only smart person in a room of idiots for a few books there. But it was great when it came. But then there’s also the chapters with Tobias narrating, and his voice just seems so strained and off that it bothered me for the whole time. And there’s basically a repeat of the factions vs the factionless except it’s people with normal genes vs those with messed up genes. Having said all that, I did like what the author chose to do with the ending. I thought that was a good call to make. And another thing, they never explain why it is that Tris in particular is resistant to all of the serums, more so than anyone else. Just like of let that one slide and hope we don’t notice.

Yeah, like I said, I think my annoyance with this means that I’ve outgrown this genre. So this is probably good for your pet teenager, but don’t read it unless you want to be annoyed by all of the holes.

No comments:

Post a Comment