Friday, August 15, 2014

The Story Continues… “Scarlet” by Stephen Lawhead

Just finished Scarlet this morning (it took me a while because public libraries are pretty unreliable, but here we go).

My main problem is the fact that this novel is mostly narrated in the first person from Will Scarlet’s point of view. And he has a pretty irritating dialect, of course. I’m not sure whether I got used to it or not, but it did fade a bit over time. So that takes some getting used to.

There’s also this one point at the end where he picks up a kid with a broken hand. That sure healed up quick.

There’s also the introduction of the Sheriff and more Guy in this book. Merian also joins the gang, so you can see the legend coming together over time. And in Welsh, King Raven’s name is Rhi Bran y Hud. Say that ten times fast and you’ll see where I’m going with this. (It’s pretty clever really, I wonder how many names the author went through before he hit on that?)

Other than that, pretty solid continuation of what was started in Hood (hence why I don't have much to say about it). But sequels are never as good as the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment