Thursday, August 7, 2014

Why Technology Sucks

Don’t get me wrong, I think most technology is great and super helpful. I wouldn’t be writing this without it. But it’s also destroying our lives and relationships.

No one talks to each other anymore. More technology has made it easier for us to bypass talking entirely and just send each other electrical signals. No one’s talking to the people around them, just texting other people or whatever. And I’m guilty of this too, I hate talking to people, I’d much rather send an email or a text.

But the fact stands that we aren’t interacting anymore, just looking at the screen in our lap! We are losing contact with the world beyond our cell phones! And I think that there’s something sad about that.

It’s taking away jobs as well, who needs a waiter when you can email your order in.

I think that’s causing us to lose the valuable skill of talking to people in front of you. Sure, we gain the ability to keep in contact with those far away, but it’s coming at the price of those around us. And are we really keeping in contact with those people? Sure, you get Facebook updates, but how often do you have a heart-to-heart chat with them? You don’t, and that probably ties in to not talking to the people around you.

We’re losing a valuable form of communication, everything is getting shorter and less heartfelt. This is what Einstein feared, technology replacing human contact. I know it’s had a bad effect on my life, but how long is this going to go on before we get our faces out of our phones and do something??

No comments:

Post a Comment